Honda Racing F1

 
Address Brackley, Northants, NN13 7YY England
Web Official Site
Team Principles Ross Brawn GBR (2008 - present)
Nicky Fry
GBR (2006 - present)
Designers Loic Bigois  FRA (2008-present)
Jorg Zander 
GER (2008-present)
Mariano Alperin-Bruvera 
ARG (2007)
Shuhei Nakamoto 
JPN (2007-present)
Geoffrey Willis
GBR (2006)

Team History: 1960's

 Coming soon!

Team Record: 1960's

Year Chassis Engine Tyre Drivers Start Win Pole F Lap Pts Pos
1964 RA271 Honda RA271E V12 DU Bucknam 3 0 0 0 0 -
1965 RA272 Honda RA272E V12 GY Bucknam
Ginther
8 1 0 0 11 6th
1966 RA273 Honda RA273E V12 GY Bucknam
Ginther
5 0 0 0 3 8th
1967 RA300
RA273
Honda RA273E V12 FI Surtees 9 1 0 0 20 4th
1968 RA300
RA273
Honda RA273E V12 FI Surtees
Schlesser / Hobbs / Bonnier (1 race each)
12 0 1 1 14 6th
       

TOTAL

37 2 1 1 48  

 Engine Supplier

After the success of its Formula 2 engine program in the early 1980's, Honda designed a 1.5L turbocharged version for use in F1. It initially ran with the Spirit team before being supplied to Lotus, Williams, Tyrell and McLaren taking six Constructors and fix Drivers Championships before leaving the sport at the end of the 1992 season. In 1998 Honda embarked on a works F1 project and commissioned Dallara to build a car designed by Harvey Postlethwaite, the RA099, which was tested during 1999 by Jos Verstappen. Partly due to the death of Postlethwaite - he suffered a heart attack at one of the test sessions - the decision was taken not to enter as a constructor, but to supply BAR with engines starting in 2000.

Team History: 2000's

Following the successful 2004 season, Honda purchased a 45% stake in BAR then in September 2005 they purchased the remaining 55% of the team and renamed it "Honda Racing F1" for the 2006 season. Despite taking a win (Hungary) and a pole (Australia) the 2006 was marred by reliability problems and team mistakes, plus new driver Rubens Barrichello had trouble adapting his driving style to the car. Putting Barrichello in the car also led to Honda financing, supplying engines and technical support to the Super Aguri team so Japanese Takuma Sato had a place to drive. The RA107 for 2007 was unveiled with Honda's "Earth Dream" environmental awareness campaign livery, earning it such derogatory nicknames as "Swamp Buggy". Its performance was ugly too, with both drivers being regularly outpaced by the satellite Super Aguri cars, leading to a shake-up in the team's design department. In November 2007 it was announced that former Ferrari technical director, Ross Brawn was joining Honda as team principal in a major revamp of the management structure, while the very experienced Alexander Wurz was brought in to help develop the 2008 car. The 2008 season was not much better than the year before, however, with the only bright spot being Barrichello's podium at the rain-soaked British GP thanks to a gamble on tyres. By mid-season the team stopped development of the RA108 and turned their attention to 2009.

As preparations began for the new rules package to be introduced, Honda management shocked the sport with an announcement in December 2008 that they were withdrawing from F1 immediately. After lengthy negotiations with a number of would be buyers, the team was eventually sold to Ross Brawn and would enter the 2009 season as Brawn GP.      

Team Record: 2000's

Year Chassis Engine Tyre # / Drivers Start Win Pole F Lap Pts Pos
2006 RA106 Honda RA806E V8 MI 11 Barrichello
12 Button 
TD Davidson
18 1 1 0 86 4th
2007 RA107 Honda RA807E V8 BS Button 
8 Barrichello
TD Klien
17 0 0 0 6 8th
2008 RA108 Honda RA808E V8 BS 16 Button 
17 Barrichello
TD Wurz
18 0 0 0 14 9th
       

TOTAL

118 0 2 0 227  

 


EMail your comments, suggestions and updates to:


editor@mcz.com


Return to the Teams or Drivers Index

MCZ F1 logo